What are the best meal prep containers?
There are many benefits to meal planning, but if you don’t have the right meal prep containers, it’s a difficult habit to stick with.
If you want to successfully meal prep, this article will help you find the:
- best glass meal prep containers
- best plastic food storage containers
- versatile silicone reusable bags
- best containers for portion control
- essential products for sticking with meal prepping
Let’s start prepping!
Some links below are affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase, we will receive a small commission. Here’s the disclaimer for more info.
Why You Need to Start Meal Prepping Now
If you haven’t gotten the hang of meal prepping yet, you’re missing out.
Meal planning then portioning food out in meal prep containers is a habit you’ll want to stick with because it:
- saves money…lots of money!
- is a lifesaver during rushed mornings and busy evenings
- makes lunches on-the-go a breeze
- reduces plastic waste
- helps you stick to your clean eating and health goals
When you have the food you need cooked and portioned into food storage containers ahead of time, you’ll enjoy feelings of calm in your household, knowing your food is there already.
If you need help with the planning side of things, check out the best meal planning template that’s been a total game-changer.
Watch My Meal Prep Container Review
If you want to see the meal prep containers I use in my kitchen at home, watch the video below. I share some extra tips about how I use them and what to watch out for when buying new food storage containers.
1. Best Glass Meal Prep Container
- 5-pack of glass meal prep containers with snapping lids
- Each glass container holds 3.8 cups (30 oz.)
- Leakproof lids with silicone seal assures nothing spills (even soups)
- Glass container is oven, microwave, freezer and dishwasher-safe
- 4.3 stars from over 3,665 reviews
2. Best Portion Control Meal Prep Containers
- Portion control is easier with Pyrex glass containers
- (4) 2-cup and 1-cup containers with lids
- BPA-free plastic lids are dishwasher-safe (top rack)
- Containers are microwave, oven, freezer and dishwasher-safe
- 4.4 stars from over 760 reviews
3. Best Reusable Food Storage Bags
- Eliminate or reduce plastic bag waste with reusable food bags
- Made with 100% pure non-toxic silicone
- Kid-friendly pinch-lock seal is easy enough for preschoolers to use
- Dishwasher, microwave, freezer and oven-safe (up to 400 degrees)
- 4.4 stars from over 2,650 reviews
4. Best Glass Containers for Salads and Smoothies
- Glass mason jars are not just for canning
- Prep salads for healthy lunches for the week
- Store an extra smoothie so it’s ready ahead of time
- Wide-mouth lids are easier to clean
- 4.5 stars from over 127 reviews
5. Best Glass Bento Containers
- Keep food separate in 2-compartment meal prep containers
- 5-pack glass containers each hold 29 ounces
- Prep meals then store in fridge or freezer for busy weeks
- Durable glass is freezable, microwavable and oven safe
- 4.4 stars from over 2,400 reviews
6. Best Cheap Meal Prep Containers
- Meal prep containers don’t have to be expensive
- 20-pack reusable plastic containers hold 32 ounces each
- Prepare 20 breakfasts, lunches, or dinners ahead of time
- Stackable containers store neatly and save space
- 4.4 stars from nearly 2,500 reviews
More Essentials for Easy Meal Prep
Having the right food storage containers is key, but there are a few more kitchen tools that are absolutely essential for prepping breakfasts, lunches, dinners or snacks ahead of time.
Making healthy instant pot meals, side dishes, or snacks like hard-boiled eggs without babysitting the stove is the easiest way for busy parents to cook. Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is a tried-and-true favorite around here.
This Instant Pot Duo is a best-seller on Amazon for good reason. We use it all the time.
Cast Iron Skillet
Cast Iron skillets can be used to saute, bake, fry or grill food for meal prepping. Be sure to take care of it and it will last for decades.
Ours was handed down from our 80+ year old grandfather, but this Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet comes with a silicone hot handle to protect your hands.
Silicone Muffin Pan
Healthy muffins and baked egg cups can pack some nutrients into your breakfasts or snacks. But cleanup with metal pans can be a pain.
Adding a silicone muffin pan to your kitchen is a cheap way to improve your meal prepping experience.
Nothing compares to a superfood green smoothie made in a professional-grade Vitamix Blender. Fill your blender with greens, superfood powders and some fruit to start your day energized.
This 64-oz blender fills two 32-oz mason jars full of smoothie goodness, so share one with a family member or store it in the fridge for later.
Portable Warming Tote
Keep your meal prepped food warm on the go–even if there’s not a microwave or oven available with a portable oven.
Pack your meal prep container with frozen, fresh or leftover food, plug it in, and you’re set to go! The HotLogic even works in cars, trucks and vans.
Thrive Market and Vitacost
If you have any special diet needs and need foods that are gluten-free, allergy-friendly, keto, paleo, vegan, etc., you can have the food you need delivered to your door. Save 25% off your first Thrive order with the link below. I promise, it won’t be your last.
Start Meal Prepping
You now know everything you need to know about how to get started meal prepping with the essential tools and best meal prep containers available.
Is there a food storage container you love to use for meal prepping? Let me know in the comments below.
Save for Later
Share this list of best containers for meal prepping on social so your friends can eat healthier, save money, and enjoy more calm in the kitchen. Save it to Pinterest so you always have it when you need it.