What are the best self-help books for women to read in 2020?
As a fellow woman, self-help book lover, and avid review reader, it’s only natural I create a list of the most inspirational, must-read self-improvement books.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclaimer for more info.
The books on this list have been repeatedly recommended by young women, married women, moms, spiritual women, and entrepreneurs.
12 Best Self-Help Books for Women
These are some of the overall best inspirational self-improvement books for women that don’t fit in one of the other categories, like business, personal finance or spiritual. These are your overall ‘become a better version of yourself’ books.
- “From the deeply self-aware, poetically gifted author of Eat, Pray, Love comes… the best nonfiction book I’ve read in years. For anyone who’s ever struggled with feeling worthy to express themselves through art, or been discouraged by the absence of inspiration, I’m not being hyperbolic when I say this book might just change your life.” —Mind Body Green
- Playful yet powerful read that’s perfect for anyone who needs help trusting the process while living a more creative life
- 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 3,339 reviews
- “The best books fit our persistent locks like a perfectly made key. Marie is honest, generous and caring, and she’s sharing her wisdom here. If you’re looking for the next step on your journey to make a difference for others, here it is.” –Seth Godin, author of This is Marketing
- Retrain your brain to think more creatively and positively during challenges with this book from a hilarious and brilliant author
- 4.9 out of 5 stars from over 1,290 reviews
- “I’m so thrilled that this book exists. The Enneagram has absolutely changed my understanding of how to love the people in my life, deepened the quality of my marriage, and given me a vision for the person God designed me to be. This book makes the Enneagram easy to understand, with helpful stories, humor, warmth, and clear language. I’ll need a case, at least.” –Shauna Niequist, author of Present Over Perfect
- This self-discovery book will help you better understand yourself and others in an easy read
- 4.7 out of 5 stars from over 958 reviews
- “Hal Elrod is a genius and his book The Miracle Morning has been magical in my life. What Hal has done is taken the best practices, developed over centuries of human consciousness development, and condensed the ‘best of the best’ into a daily morning ritual. A ritual that is now part of my day.” —Robert Kiyosaki, bestselling author of Rich Dad Poor Dad
- The self-help book that will show you exactly how to take your life to the next level
- 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 4,380 reviews
- “A window into her life so far, Michelle Obama gives us endearing, insightful, honest memories. From growing up in a working class household in Chicago, to leaving the White House residence, her story is unique and thought provoking. If you admire and respect the Obamas, you will like this book.” –Amazon Reviewer
- A powerful and inspiring memoir for women from the former First Lady of the United States; a #1 NYT bestseller and an Oprah’s Book Club Pick
- 4.7 out of 5 stars from over 22,725 reviews
- “[Brown’s] research and work have given us a new vocabulary, a way to talk with each other about the ideas and feelings and fears we’ve all had but haven’t quite known how to articulate. . . . [She] empowers us each to be a little more courageous.”—The Huffington Post
- Life-changing book about how to be brave, kind, and good–no matter what your faith or lack of faith–that is exactly what our messy, divided world needs right now
- 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 1,500 reviews
- “Cain offers a wealth of useful advice for teachers and parents of introverts…Quiet should interest anyone who cares about how people think, work, and get along, or wonders why the guy in the next cubicle acts that way. It should be required reading for introverts (or their parents) who could use a boost to their self-esteem.” —Fortune.com
- Permanently change how you see introverts (yourself, your kids, spouse, students, co-workers, friends) and why they are equally as important as extraverts
- 4.5 out of 5 stars from over 7,380 reviews
- “Some people are great writers, and other people are great therapists. Lori Gottlieb is, astoundingly, both. Maybe You Should Talk to Someone is about the wonder of being human: how none of us is immune from struggle, and how we can grow into ourselves and escape our emotional prisons. Rarely have I read a book that challenged me to see myself in an entirely new light, and was at the same time laugh-out-loud funny and utterly absorbing.”—Katie Couric
- A skillful therapist, whose also a humorous writer, discloses the inside world of being both a therapist and a patient
- 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 1,500 reviews
- “I believe that the discoveries in this book can change our understanding of how we store emotional experiences and in so doing, change our lives. The Emotion Code has already changed many lives around the world, and it is my hope that millions more will be led to use this simple tool to heal themselves and their loved ones.”―Tony Robbins
- Discover how emotionally-charged events from the past can be causing pain and disease, impacting the way you think and the choices you make. Then learn how to release these trapped emotions to experience better health, abundance, and success
- 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 879 reviews
10. What to Say When You Talk to Yourself: Powerful New Techniques to Program Your Potential for Success
- “I’ve read John Kehoe, Bob Proctor, Tony Robbins, Jack Canfield, etc. “What To Say When You Talk To Yourself” is by far the best book I’ve read about practical steps on taking control of your subconscious and in turn, your life.”–Charles B., Amazon Reviewer
- Learn how to identify and reverse the effects of your negative self-talk and embrace a more positive outlook on your life
- 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 1,464 reviews
- “A soul-shaking and potentially life-altering read filled with stories, guidance, and rituals to help readers realize their sacred dreams.” –LA Yoga
- With this incredible story from Oprah’s “favorite guest of all-time,” you’ll learn 9 steps to reexamine your goals and uncover the power within, that can not only change your life–but the entire world–for the better
- 4.9 out of 5 stars from over 52 reviews
- “In, The Little Book of Big Lies, Beloved Tina Lifford proves herself to be an “inner workout” coach. So many things we accept as truth simply aren’t. So many things that we accept without question, stunt our growth. If you are ready to work through some lies that may be holding you back, give this little book a big read.” –Rev. Dr. Iyanla Vanzant, Spiritual Life Coach, Host, Iyanla Fix My Life
- An inspiring guide to true self-care for the inner you, this self help book shows you how to move beyond the past, turn shame and blame into deep self-acceptance with practical tips that will transform your mindset on life and deepen your self-love
- 4.9 out of 5 stars from over 30 reviews
13. Super Attractor
- “Those of us who have no doubt that consciousness is the fundamental reality which conceives, constructs, governs, and becomes that which we call physical reality have no doubt that in every moment the world is a mirror of our inner state of being. This book explains with elegant simplicity and practical steps how you can be the author of your life story and manifest your deepest desires and cherished dreams. –-Deepak Chopra, M.D.
- If you’re on a new spiritual path or need a reminder of the tools and support from the Universe, this book goes into the Law of Attraction, spirit guides, angels, praying, meditation, affirmations, and more to show you how to create a life with more purpose, abundance, happiness, and freedom
- 4.8 out of 5 stars from over 724 reviews
14. The Latte Factor
- “When I first started my career, I was deep in debt and full of shame, fear, and embarrassment about money. David Bach’s books helped me turn that around and create real financial freedom. On MarieTV we featured David and his Latte Factor challenge—and the results for our community were immediate. The Latte Factor works!” –Marie Forleo, author of Everything Is Figureoutable, host of the award-winning show MarieTV
- No matter your age or your current financial situation, it’s never too late to afford the life of your dreams. This self-help money book spells out the three simple steps you need to get there.
- 4.8 out of 5 stars from over 540 reviews
15. You are a Mogul
- “Becoming an entrepreneur is tough and I encourage all who are on the journey to be self-aware and use resources to help your hustle match your ambition. You Are A Mogul is one of those tools.”—Gary Vaynerchuk, Founder & CEO of VaynerMedia and New York Times Bestselling Author
- Inspiring autobiography and business book filled with wisdom and advice you can put into practice right away and see results by overcoming self-doubt, growing your successful side business, crushing it at life, while remaining your authentic self
- 4.4 out of 5 stars from over 40 reviews
BONUS 6 Classic Self-Improvement Books
If you love a good classic self-help book, here are some of the six most inspirational and life-changing books you can order on Amazon:
- How to Win Friends & Influence People
- The Alchemist
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
- The Success Principles: How to Get From Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
- Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You were Meant to Live
BONUS 6 Inspirational Books for Young Women
Finally, if you’re searching for an encouraging book for a young woman in her twenties or teens, these are the best self-help books for her. From career to habits, energy to money, these books will help inspire and guide her to start her adult life with her best foot forward:
- The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter–And How to Make the Most of Them
- Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life…And Maybe the World
- What Color is Your Parachute? A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
- The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
- Broke Millennial: Stop Scraping By and Get Your Financial Life Together
Save This List of Self-Help Books For Later And Share With Other Women
Order a book or ten, but don’t stop there!
These are the best of the best for women who are ready to improve their mindset, habits, money and time, so they can live happier and more successful lives. More women need to find these self-improvement books!
Save this list to Pinterest and share it on social media. Women around the world will appreciate this simple act of kindness.
What are your favorite self-help books? Let us know in the comments, so we can add them to our reading lists!