Have you heard of Skillshare but not sure what it is, how much it costs, or if Skillshare is worth it? As a work-at-home mom and course review expert who loves a good deal, I often get asked which courses are a good value. After trying the free trial, I became a paying Skillshare Premium member for six months in order to write a comprehensive and thorough review of Skillshare that answers all your questions.
Skillshare is an online learning community that holds thousands of courses in business, design, photography, and more. Millions of students have taken courses on Skillshare to learn a new professional skill, spark creativity, start a side hustle, and find more joy in their lives.
This Skillshare Review Answers Your Top Questions:
- What is Skillshare?
- How much does Skillshare cost?
- What are the pros and cons of Skillshare?
- Is Skillshare worth it?
YOU’LL ALSO LEARN HOW TO GET A FREE TWO WEEK TRIAL WITH SKILLSHARE (INSTEAD OF JUST ONE)!
Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about Skillshare before deciding if it’s worth it for you.
Some links in this post are affiliate links. Read more here.
Skillshare Overview on YouTube
Watch to see the Skillshare pros and cons in my honest Skillshare review video below. Pay attention to the one class I found that’s NOT worth your time.
✍️ Note: The free trial is now two weeks, not the longer length mentioned at the time of recording the video.
❗️You can save 40% Off an Annual Membership with Code: aff40dtp
WHAT IS SKILLSHARE?
HOW MUCH DOES SKILLSHARE COST?
Skillshare Premium Membership costs $19 per month. However, if you pay for an entire year all at once–rather than monthly–the price comes down to $8.25 per month.
There’s a Special 40% Off Annual Membership right now! Start Your New Skillshare Membership and use the Promo Code: aff40dtp
See the price Skillshare price options in the screenshot below.
How Long is the Skillshare Free Trial?
Typically, a Skillshare Premium Free Trial is seven days. However, I was able to get you a free trial TWICE as long!
Instead of one week, you can use our link below to double your free trial.
After several months of using Skillshare, here are the best parts of Skillshare:
- Good Content – Especially for beginners. Most courses offer higher quality than what you’ll find on YouTube.
- Skillshare Teachers – Include popular names like Dana Malstaff and Gary Vaynerchuk, as well as lesser-known instructors who are knowledgeable, yet easier to relate to.
- Courses to Learn Money-Making Skills – Whether you’re trying to learn how to create Facebook ads, edit videos, manage social media accounts for businesses, or improve your photography skills, there is a boatload of courses for anyone wanting to start freelancing or another small business in order to work from home.
- Personal Growth and Self-Care Content – Lots of highly rated courses on meditation, yoga, DSLR photography, wine, coffee brewing, creating morning routines, and interior design classes that could be used for business or just fun for getting those creative juices flowing or improving your overall well-being.
- Create an Individual Learning Plan – You can browse, save a bunch of courses that interest you, then easily find them later to complete them at your own pace. As I browsed, I easily created a group of courses for Freelancing, a second group for Social Media courses, then a third for those that just looked interesting.
- Long Free Trial – If you use my free trial link instead of just going to skillshare.com, you can get instant access to ALL the courses on Skillshare FREE for TWO weeks. That is a long time! If you finish one course per day, that’s 28 courses of useful information you can get completely FREE.
- Risk Free Sign Up – You can cancel anytime before your trial is over and you won’t be charged. So you plenty of time to decide if Skillshare is really worth it for you.
- Low Monthly Fee – If you enjoy the Skillshare courses and want to continue access, the monthly membership is only the cost of a coffee.
- Payment Options – You can pay with credit card, debit card, or PayPal, whichever is most convenient for you.
- Skillshare App – Switching between the phone app and the desktop website was seamless, as the course picked up on my phone right where I left off on my computer. You can watch videos and learn from your desktop, laptop, smartphone or tablet.
ACCESS ALL THE SKILLSHARE COURSES FREE FOR TWO WEEKS! START TODAY.
Of course, nothing is perfect, so here are the brutally honest downsides of Skillshare:
- Beginner Level – Most of the courses I took are not teaching super-advanced technical skills. Most are beginner and intermediate level courses.
- Anyone Can Be a Teacher – This means the course content and video quality vary greatly. Some are amazing, most are good, but every once in a while you’ll come across someone you don’t jive with. Simply move onto another course if that happens to you.
- Disjointed Feel – Courses on a similar topic can be grouped together to create a track, but since it’s a variety of teachers, it can feel choppy. Anytime you lump together courses from 5 different teachers, it’s going to feel a bit choppy. (This is why a course platform like Skillshare costs hundreds or even thousands less than mega courses like the Savvy System and other Virtual Assistant Courses.)
Best Skillshare Courses for Freelancers and Work-at-Home Moms
A great way to find the classes that are worth it on Skillshare are to check out the reviews beforehand. Read the overall ratings then a few of the individual reviews to see if other students found it helpful. If you start a course and don’t love it, you can simply exit and find a new one without having to pay anything extra.
For those who are wanting to make money from home, here are some of the top courses on Skillshare:
If you don’t know what you want to do for work
If you want to learn more about becoming a Virtual Assistant
- Make a Great Income as a Virtual Assistant by Ashlee Gehab
If you want to freshen up your skills for freelance editing and proofreading
- Writing, Editing Masterclass: Content Editing, Copyediting and Proofreading by Sivakumar Kannan
If you want to build a solid freelance business foundation
- Going Freelance: Building and Branding Your Own Success by Justin Gignac
- Entrepreneurship: Online Business Planning 101 by Dana Malstaff
If you need help managing money as a freelancer
- The Freelancing Guide: Managing Your Finances by Faye Brown
If you want to learn Facebook ads
- Facebook Ads & Facebook Marketing Mastery Guide 2019 by Course Envy
If you want to learn social media strategy
- Context is Key: Social Media Strategy in a Noisy Online World by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Social Media Marketing: Top Tips for Growing Your Followers & Going Viral by Cat Coquillette
How to Cancel Your Skillshare Membership
If you decide you don’t want to continue Skillshare, you can easily cancel your membership anytime in your Account Settings
If you cancel before your free trial is over, you won’t be charged anything and all the Skillshare courses you took are still free.
The Verdict – Is Skillshare Worth It?
With the Free Trial for 2 weeks, it’s hard to say it’s not worth it, but even the low monthly membership is worth it for the right people.
Here’s the test if Skillshare is right for you:
- Do you want to start a new work from home job or freelance business but don’t feel like you have the skills you need yet?
- Have you started a blog or online shop of some kind but it hasn’t made the money you hoped yet?
- Do you love learning, personal growth, and consider yourself a lifelong learner?
- Is there something you’ve always wanted to learn more about but didn’t want to pay to learn it?
If you said “YES” to any of those questions, sign up for that free 2-week trial right now before it goes away!
I can’t wait to see how you learn more, grow more, and create more.
Cheers to your family & financial freedom,