What is the best virtual assistant training to learn how to become a virtual assistant and work from home?
Below are the results from three of the most comprehensive courses for virtual assistants and other freelance service providers. I had to take them all to do a true comparison and allow you to confidently decide which training is best for you.
Get ready to learn:
- how 3 popular virtual assistant courses compare side-by-side
- a sneak peek inside all three courses
- whether you need a free or paid virtual assistant course
P.S. I am not the course creator of any of these trainings, so below is an objective review from a regular mom, who just happens to also be obsessed with courses and reviews.
Are Virtual Assistant Courses Really Worth It?
You might be skeptical or scared to spend money on something that like a course. I was.
But after just a few months of blog posts, emails, podcasts and YouTube videos, I was overwhelmed with information and not seeing progress.
Fast forward three years, I’ve been able to:
- leave my full-time job (that required a master’s degree)
- replace that full-time income
- working part-time from home
- while being a full-time stay-at-home mom
Freelance virtual assistant work is how I earned most of my income. There’s no way I’d be able to say this without the many online courses I’ve taken.
So are virtual assistant courses worth it?
YES! Courses are without a doubt worth it if you are ready to:
- make money from home
- find time to dedicate to learning
- follow the steps and advice of a mentor
- get accountability and support from others on a similar journey
If you can’t say yes to at least two of those things, courses will probably be a waste of money.
But IF you can say yes to at least two, then YES, you are ready for a real virtual assistant training.
This post may contain affiliate links from our sponsors. Read the disclaimer for more info.
Which Virtual Assistant Training is Best?
To help you figure out which virtual assistant course is best for you, I dove in, took notes, and summarized a side-by-side comparison below.
Paid Virtual Assistant Training Course Reviews
A few years ago, Micala Quinn, Kayla Sloan, and Gina Horkey were unhappy in their work/family situation. They craved freedom and flexibility but also needed to make legit money.
Now they are all successful women in business, enjoying the freedom of working from home. They created the courses below to show you how to replicate what worked for them, so you can start making money as a virtual assistant too:
- Overwhelmed to Overbooked by Micala Quinn
- $10K VA by Kayla Sloan of $10k VA
- 30 Days to Virtual Assistant Success by Gina Horkey
These courses are step-by-step, just follow the directions and you will succeed, including:
- WHAT you need to do to become a virtual assistant in achievable baby steps
- WHEN to do the steps, and
- HOW to do them to get the best results
Whenever Comparing Courses, I Keep These Things In Mind:
- Value: How valuable is the information?
- Proof: Are they qualified to teach this?
- Teaching Style: How is the material delivered?
- Connection: Can you connect with their personality?
- Price: What is the investment?
- Support: What support do you get during and after enrolling?
Let’s dive into course #1.
1. Virtual Assistant Course: OVERWHELMED TO OVERBOOKED
Micala Quinn went from high school Enlight teacher to tripling her pay working half the hours as a freelance virtual assistant. She left the teaching profession so she could be home with her baby girl and has never looked back.
Here are some stats from women who choose this course:
- 4 weeks on average until they land their first client
- 2 weeks on average to complete the course
- earning anywhere from $1,000 – $10K per month
Pretty impressive, right? This is exactly what you can expect when you gain access to Micala’s virtual assistant training.
Overwhelmed to Overbooked Overview:
- 7 main steps broken down in 9+ hours of video training
- Masters of Business Bonus is another 3.5 hours of video skills training
- Templates, workbooks, scripts and guides to show you how to complete every step of the way
- Group Coaching with Micala every week! For 6 months, you can ask anything, troubleshoot where you’re stuck, and understand what you need to do next on live calls. Watch later if you can’t attend live.
- Extra expert trainings and exclusive job leads from all of Micala’s connections for 6 months
- Lifetime access to course & future updates
- Extremely Active & Supportive Private Facebook Mastermind with Micala and other super helpful women and students. I have been so impressed by the value of this group.
- Investment of $197/month for 6 months or 1 payment of $997
Overwhelmed to Overbooked Pros
Micala Quinn is a former teacher, so obviously that brings a lot of perks if you enroll in her program:
- she breaks down what you need to do into actionable baby steps
- she explains things thoroughly yet in easy-to-understand language
- she is constantly looking for ways she can improve her course
- she ultimately wants her students to succeed more than anything
- she offers 90% encouragement and 10% constructive feedback
Her training is more than a course, it’s a comprehensive coaching program. A major reason people don’t achieve a goal is because they lack accountability.
- you get weekly group coaching calls with Micala for 6 months
- you can troubleshoot where you’re stuck or just listen in
- you can watch the recorded calls later if you can’t attend live
The Private Facebook Group is amazing. This is one of the most helpful, encouraging, and supportive Facebook groups. I joined to review this course, but I stick around because it’s awesome.
- you’re surrounded by hundreds of encouraging, motivated women
- you’re lifted up and supported, no drama
- your questions will be answered fast
- you’ll get access to lots of potential job leads
- you’ll get ongoing skills training from experts
Overwhelmed to Overbooked Cons
Even the best courses have their downsides. OTO cons are:
- you don’t learn how to set up a website
- your access to job leads, mastermind group, and group coaching is 6 months (then there’s an extra fee)
Overwhelmed to Overbooked Review Grade
Overall, I love this course and I think you will too.
If you invest in this course and follow her steps, I have full faith you will successfully earn your money back plus turn a profit as a VA within 6 months.
On top of that, you will have marketable and in-demand skills, important connections, and knowledge to keep growing and earn more money.
Overwhelmed to Overbooked is the best video-based course and coaching program. This step-by-step course removes the guesswork of how to start freelancing and become a Virtual Assistant with the added bonus of an amazing tribe of supportive women.
2. VIRTUAL ASSISTANT COURSE: $10K VA
Kayla Sloan fell into virtual assistance several years ago when she was a hobby blogger looking to make extra money from home to pay off debt. Within a couple of years, she went from earning $0 to $10,000 per month working as a Virtual Assistant and Project Manager.
Like the other course creators, Kayla left her traditional job once she realized the income potential and schedule flexibility that comes with freelancing and working from home. You can join her program and follow her steps by joining her course: $10K VA.
$10K VA Overview:
- 7 modules of text-based content to get started as a VA and work your way up to making $10k per month
- Templates and scripts for pitching clients, sample contract, and raising your rates with clients
- Private Facebook Group for students
- Discounted 1:1 Coaching Sessions with Kayla
- Connections and Job Leads from Kayla’s network
- Lifetime course access also includes Skills School, like email management, social media management, WordPress 101, Instagram deep dive, and more.
$10K VA Pros
Course content is easy-to-follow and Kayla lays out how you can gradually increase your confidence and strategy to go from making $15 per hour as a Virtual Assistant to making $10,000 or more per month.
One of the hardest questions in the beginning is: What can I offer and how much should I charge? Kayla answers both of these questions well and breaks down the different Types of VAs well (e.g., General VA, Social Media VA, Data Entry VA, WordPress VA, Product Launch VA, Marketing VA, Technical VA, etc.)
Each course creator has overlap but also unique strategies for finding clients (another struggle for beginning VAs). Kayla mentions a hashtag strategy and includes an hourly rate calculator I haven’t seen before.
She also has a great module on how to set boundaries with clients and things to consider when creating a virtual assistant contract before working with clients.
Kayla describes multiple ways virtual assistants can scale to making $10,000 or more per month with higher-level skills, improved systems, subcontracting or creating an agency.
$10K VA Cons
The cons of $10k VA are:
- text-based course (video is supposed to be added in 2020)
- highest investment
- private Facebook community is not super active yet
$10K VA REVIEW GRADE
This course is cool because Kayla scaled herself to making $10k per month as a virtual assistant before teaching others how to do it. She has firsthand experience of how to work up to offering services that clients will pay a premium for and teaches you how to do the same.
With the higher-end price tag, however, I was surprised at the text-only approach and the somewhat quiet Facebook community.
If those are not dealbreakers for you and you want to learn from someone who knows how to make $10k per month as a virtual assistant, this could be the best fit for you.
3. Virtual Assistant Course: 30 DAYS OR LESS TO VIRTUAL ASSISTANT SUCCESS
Gina Horkey started freelance writing and working as a virtual assistant when she was sick and tired of her job in the financial industry. She started earning $4,000 per month within just a few months and eventually, left her soul-sucking job to work from home.
30 Days or Less to Virtual Assistant Success Overview:
- 9 modules of primarily text-based training
- 8 Templates/scripts for pitching clients and getting testimonials
- How to set up and optimize a Website to get hired (videos)
- Quizzes and a Final Exam to check your understanding
- Lifetime access to course materials and all future updates
- 30 days FREE access to Private Facebook community for job leads and ask Gina anything
- Investment of $498
30 DOL to Virtual Assistant Success Pros
Gina’s course to learn how to become a virtual assistant gives you the nuts and bolts of choosing the services you’ll offer, setting up your new business, and finding clients with a low price tag.
I love copy-and-paste scripts and you will get lots of those so you know exactly what to say to get hired and receive great testimonials, which are key to getting more work and earning higher pay.
You’ll get quizzes to make sure you’re learning everything you need to know at the end of each module. And you get 30 days of free access to her VA Leads Community, which is an extra service she offers to connect those who want to hire virtual assistants with virtual assistants who want more work.
I love that you get checklists and step-by-step information so you know how to set up a website and what to include on each website page to increase your chances of getting hired.
While I know you NEED a website to get hired as a virtual assistant, I know that first impression helps! I still get people asking for freelance editing quotes who mention how much they “love my website” or were “impressed” by it.
30 DOL to VA Success Cons
Since we are soon-to-be online BFFs, there are a few potential downsides I experienced in my 30 Days or Less to Virtual Assistant Success review.
Before you buy 30 DOL to Virtual Assistant Success, you should know:
- it is almost all text
- you must pay extra for a few things, like a contract template, access to her Virtual Assistant Job Leads group after a month, and ongoing training
- the “Explore VA Niches” lessons lead to a lot of other courses that require more investment
With that being said, it’s hard to find a video-based course for less than $500 these days. I have invested in and learned what I needed to from several text-based courses.
She is adding videos to update the course over time, so I would expect the number of videos to increase.
30 DOL to VA Success Overview
Overall, this course lays out the information you need to get started as a virtual assistant–even if you have no experience.
I believe if you take 30 Days or Less to Virtual Assistant Success and follow her steps, you will earn your money back and then some within 6 months.
In the next 30 days, I’d say it’s likely you could be through the course and have a solid game plan for what services you’ll offer, where you can find your first few clients, and know exactly what to say to them to land the job and start making money.
30 Days or Less to Virtual Assistant success is the best course to become a VA for under $300.
Besides Gina, the coolest thing about this course is it will only take landing one part-time client to earn your money back. And as she will show you, there are potential clients lurking everywhere. 😉
- How to Become a Work at Home Mom – The Secret to Success for One SAHM Who’s Killing It
- Best Virtual Assistant Tools – Productivity Hacks to Get More Done in Less Time as a VA
- 25 Best Virtual Assistant Website Examples – For Inspiration to Desing Your Website
Free Virtual Assistant Training & Resources
While the best information is always laid out nicely paid courses, there are some awesome resources where you can get a feel for if virtual administrative assistance is a good fit for you and what an instructor is like before investing in a course or coaching later on.
So if you’re not ready to invest in a comprehensive course just yet, here are the best free virtual assistant training and resources, which you can get sent to your email today.
3. Freebies for Virtual Assistant Training in My Resource Library
If you want to work from home but aren’t sure what you could do or how to get started, you need to check out the resources in my Freebie Library.
- What you Need to Do to Get Started as a Freelance Virtual Assistant (checklist of the first steps I took)
- Clarify your Most Important Goals so You’re Most likely to Succeed Working from Home
- The Crazy Simple Test to Discover Which VA Services Would be a Good Fit for You
- 8 Places to Find your First Clients (Even if You Don’t Have Experience)
The strategies used in these free resources are exactly what I did go from knowing nothing about making money online–or even what a virtual assistant does–to having more clients than I knew what to do with.
Sign up below to access the library.
4. Free Virtual Assistant Training – What Does A Virtual Assistant Do?
Gina Horkey from Horkey Handbook organized a LIST OF 150+ SERVICES VAs CAN OFFER to help you figure out what tasks, projects, or services people hire Virtual Assistants to do. This guide is an excellent first step if you’re just starting to figure out what a virtual assistant is and what a virtual assistant does.
Discover what a virtual assistant does by downloading Gina’s list below.
Free Virtual Assistant Video Training
Below are virtual assistant training videos that you can sign up for and watch anytime. In videos like these, you can quickly tell if you connect with the teacher’s style, personality, strategies, background, core beliefs and if they seem to know their stuff.
6. Virtual Assistant Training – How Gina Earns $100 Per Hour
Gina of Horkey Handbook also has a one-hour free webinar that covers:
- What is a Virtual Assistant?
- What does a Virtual Assistant do?
- Is there really a need for Virtual Assistants?
- How to get started and become a Virtual Assistant?
- Which industries are most secure to get into?
- Which tasks earn $20 per hour versus $100 per hour?
- and more!
You will be impressed to see that Gina reveals the first 3 steps to getting started, including a simple but effective script and strategy for finding your first client.
Sign up and see how Gina has helped thousands of newbies break into virtual assistant careers.
7. How to Become a Work at Home Mom
Micala Quinn of Live Free, Mama also has a free workshop that’s two hours of valuable content and questions answered.
Watch this free training video to discover:
- how Micala quit her job as a teacher and doubled her paycheck–working fewer hours
- how thousands of modern moms are working from the playground and during nap
- why freelancing is such a hot industry (and it’s only going to grow)
- how to find the service you can get paid for (even if you don’t think you have skills worth paying for)
Stop wondering what if. Start seeing how your background can transform into valuable freelancer services and earn a full-time income as a virtual assistant in six months or less.
Virtual Assistant Training Mistake to Avoid
One thing to take note of as you’re learning how to become a virtual assistant is what country the course creator is from.
Some virtual assistant training provides contract templates to help you get started with your first VA clients, but you won’t want to use a contract based on UK law if you’re a US citizen.
So while the Society of Virtual Assistants for UK VAs is a great resource for those in the UK, it’s not the place I recommend for aspiring virtual assistants from the U.S.
Start Your Virtual Assistant Training Now
If you are frustrated with your current situation and you’re looking for work that is flexible and pays well, a career as a Virtual Assistant could change your life (it sure changed mine).
My virtual assistant income was key to providing the extra money my family needed so I could be a stay-at-home mom.
If you’re trying to figure out if virtual assistant work is a good fit for you, here’s what you need to do:
- Sign up for Micala’s free video training to see how a teacher and anyone else can turn their experience into profitable VA services
- Sign up for Gina’s workshop to find out where and how to find your first client
- Grab Gina’s list of 150+ services to see what a virtual assistant does
- Sign up below for My Work At Home Resources to see tools and checklists to help you get started as a virtual assistant
If you are more than ready to become a virtual assistant and want a complete step-by-step program and coaching:
- Join the women in Overwhelmed to Overbooked with Micala (the best video virtual assistant training with incredible ongoing support)
- Enroll in $10K VA with Kayla (the best course by someone who’s personally earning $10k per month as a virtual assistant)
- Or 30 Days to Virtual Assistant Success with Gina (the best virtual assistant course for under $400)
If you know in your gut you’re meant for this flexible and profitable work from home, stop putting it off and make it happen now.
If you try and don’t like it, so be it. But if you don’t try, you’ll always wonder what if?
Use the training above with these proven mentors and you will have your own thriving virtual assistant business working from home within the next 3-6 months. Being a VA has changed my entire family’s life, and I can’t wait to hear how it changes yours.